Toyota Starlet from 1.3 NA -> 1.3T

Voor alle koikarpers en andere rauwe auto's uit het land van de rijzende zon.
Rage

Re: Toyota Starlet from 1.3 NA -> 1.3T

Bericht door Rage » 17 mei 2015, 20:12

And here we go again... little update to the ongoing story that is my car.

Last week i finally rebuilt a hybrid trbo that i bought in bits. after some tinkering it boosted great! no smoke. turbo was feeling very very happy.
happely boostin along at 1.15 bar on the freeway. teasing high priced cars (the usual fun)
when i turned off the freeway and i wanted to downshift i couldent get it into gear. like. couldent physically move the gearstick into 4th gear.
or 3rd
or 2nd
not even 1st...

so rolled to a dead stop. Mangled it into 2nd gear wich took a lot of force but i got it in. and slowly drove the lil old toyota back home.
First thoughts: syncho's dead. it had been grinding a little lately and kept pushing the gearstick almost out of 3rd for a few weeks.
and heck. after years of racing it came as no suprise the gearbox finally died on me. Hell, i was suprised it lasted this long!

So back at the shop. called a mate and he came over to help rip her guts out once more

Afbeelding

duo tinkering ftw!

Afbeelding

after 2 hours of work:

Afbeelding

Why take the engine out? I have no car hoist and have a bad shoulder so manhandeling a box underneath the car isnt gonna work for me

Afbeelding

engine out, box off, time to strip the box down

Afbeelding

bits of synchro ring.. goody :D treasure hunt!

Didnt find much wrong with the box at first. not a lot of metal shavings or bits.
Until i took apart the shaft that holds 3rd and 4th gear...

Afbeelding

Left it an example of what the stuff on the right should have looked like.. whoops.
thats the C clip that held 3rd gear in place. doin a fine job there C clip... yup..

Afbeelding

Left a good needle bearing. right the ones that were on the 3rd gear... also whoops..

Afbeelding

Manual stated: check braking of the synchro ring on the 3rd gear.

Afbeelding

Syncho bent and smashed solid onto 3rd gear... braking just fine yup..

Afbeelding

Goody.. bits n pieces :D

Afbeelding

Spare box anyone?

Afbeelding

My old GT box that had the housing damaged. but internals should be fine. Time to salvage some bits

Turns out there are quite a few diffrences between gearboxes. small diffrences but some might give issues if you mix and match parts.
tried ordering replacement synchro's from my local toyota dealer. that was fun >.<

"there are 4 types of snchro sets available for that gearbox sir"

great.. how do i check which ones i need?

"Do you have the chassis nr for me sir?" yeah right.. GG on that :P replaced engine on the car when i swapped from 2e-e to 4efte engine. bought a glanza box with lsd in it which didnt originally come from that glanza either. so no, chassis nr wont help one bit..

so back to my pile of parts and sorted some bits that seemed fine and fit perfectly.

Working on putting the mixed box parts back together
LSD back in, gear shafts are in, fixing up shift linkages.
quite a puzzle :)

Afbeelding

And aaargh! Blood! Call 911! under attack by a gearbox!

Afbeelding

All parts smashed back together again. dry shifting feels and sounds great. so lets hope it works!

Afbeelding

Oh, old clutch :) fun fun.

Afbeelding

Has seen better days :D drags have deffo taken its toll on this poor old clutch

Flywheel hasnt been hot at all ^^ cracks all round the surface... surface all warped... whoops. might have seen a few too many burnouts and maybe a few mis shifts with slipping clutch :P

Afbeelding

So back to digging in the pile of parts and yay, a good looking flywheel was fitted

Afbeelding

Replacement clutch. Stock replacement since this engine/box combo should only have to run for 1 more season. If the clutch cant handle the power i'll just tone down the boost a lil bit.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

The epic manual from exedy :D

Afbeelding

Goodies on the engine :D

Afbeelding

Fitted box to engine once more

Afbeelding

hybrid hmmmm

Afbeelding
Droppin it in again (this looks familliar... perhaps i've done this too many times... lol

Afbeelding

Back in its rightfull place

Afbeelding

All hooked up and back from the first test flight. boost feels great. making good power. boostcontroller doing its thing very well. hybrid running on 1.15 bar boost.
clutch seems to hold just fine :) so happy with the results! gearbox is shifting sweet again. so i'd say: operation succesfull!

Afbeelding

Lets guess what will break next?

frank de jonge
Contacteer:

Bericht door frank de jonge » 17 mei 2015, 20:35

Hij maakt iig ook weer lekker geluid toen je voorbij reed :)

Arthur
Auto: Nr.50

Bericht door Arthur » 17 mei 2015, 20:57

Rijdt dit ding bij ons in de buurt rond, Frank?

frank de jonge
Contacteer:

Bericht door frank de jonge » 17 mei 2015, 21:26

Jazeker Arthur. Hier op het dorp.

Arthur
Auto: Nr.50

Bericht door Arthur » 17 mei 2015, 21:48

Hmm, zal eens opletten. En me niet vergissen in de snelheid :)

frank de jonge
Contacteer:

Bericht door frank de jonge » 17 mei 2015, 21:52

Idd haha. Snel is die zeker

Rage

Bericht door Rage » 17 mei 2015, 21:59

*vind ik leuk*

ik gebruik hem niet echt als dagelijkse auto dus heel veel zul je hem ook niet zien rijden :)

frank de jonge
Contacteer:

Bericht door frank de jonge » 17 mei 2015, 22:05

Af en toe een rondje door de buurt vegen dan. Vooruit.

frank de jonge
Contacteer:

Bericht door frank de jonge » 12 sep 2015, 20:56

En we hebben een Europees en Nederlands kampioen in ons midden :)

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Niels
Auto: Prius+

Bericht door Niels » 13 sep 2015, 12:07

Netjes!

frank de jonge
Contacteer:

Bericht door frank de jonge » 13 sep 2015, 12:27

Martin moet zelf het verhaal maar ff doen. Die wordt gewoon elke dag met een grijns op zn gezicht wakker. Machtig mooi

Rage

Bericht door Rage » 16 okt 2015, 21:26

Well then... As usual in english so i dont have to rewrite everything for all the forums :)

Let me tell you a story about a lil old toyota that could...

This year i wanted to compete 1 class higher in the dragrace series
Last year me and my wife ran in the DSL class (15 second)
The goal for this year was 14 seconds. Still with the base 1.3 stock block with newly added mods as i mentioned in the

previous post.

Since my main gol was to run for the dutch championship we decided to test the car on the very first event in Hildesheim

germany. If the car could make the 14 flat it would be great. if it didn't
then no loss because the event doesnt count for the dutch championship.

So prepped the car, drove 3 hours to Hildesheim and entered the event.

rdy to go:
Afbeelding

waiting in lineup:

Afbeelding

we had a headwind so after every burnout we saw this...

Afbeelding

After a few runs i wasnt making the times i was hoping for. It was a no prep event
and the car just didnt get the numbers down.

Had some bad weather aswell during the event

Afbeelding

Start em young! so cool to see this :D
Afbeelding

Even borrowed some R888 tires from a fellow driver to see if that could make the diffrence

Afbeelding

So right then and there i decided to ditch the whole CSL class idea and enter in the DSL class for one more year.
Lowered the boost a tiny bit so the engine would run safer and put down a few numbers that were decent for the DSL class and went home.

Next up! first weekend event in drachten And going flat out for the championship :)

We could only run the saturday qualification runs as sunday was a total rainout so we could not run the eleminations.
I had the best qualifying time of my class with a 15.012 and took home the win :)

Afbeelding

Next up was the second weekend event at Drachten airport and it was HOT... sooooo HOT we were all pretty much melting away
in the sun (no shade, no trees, grass field... nowehre to hide from the sun) After every run the whole lineup had the hoods open to try and get rid of a little bit of the heat.

Afbeelding

All the top class cars were parked in tents etc between the runs.
And again the sunday was rain rain rain and we could pretty much start the quarter mile rowing because the whole airfield was flooded. People getting stuck in the mud trying to leave the field etc.

Afbeelding

Yet again i managed to put down the winning time in qualifying on saturday so yet again i took home the nr 1 cup.
It was after this race that i got a message from the race officials saying "Hey there champ, your doing great! you are currently in the nr 1 position for the EDRS championship"
So i said yeah, i know im doing well in the DSL class. to which he replied "No, no, i mean 1st place overall, over all classes, in the european championship"

Well that made things interesting! I didnt even pay attention to what the other classes were doing. It wasnt even my
intention to run for the overall european championship. So me and my wife decided to run the nxt event in germany aswell and see how things went from there. (yes my wife was also running the events but she missed the hildesheim event)

Next round was Jade Race Wilhelmshaven Germany (another 3 hour drive yay)
Even Nascars tried to have a go at the drags.. and oooh boy they cant drag for shit :P but they had fun

Afbeelding

At Jade race i managed to score 4th place and it turned out that was still enough to keep me in the lead in the overall championship.

Thus we decided we kinda had to race the next one aswell. Row Race days Rotenburg Germany (another long drive hurray!)
Plz keep in mind that i drove the car to all the events, not trailored, so hoping i wouldent break anything bad as i kinda wanted to be able to drive home again :)

At Rotenburg we encountered a small dilemma after qualifying day was over. Both me and my wife had qualified for the finals and we finally had good weather on sunday so we could finally run the eliminations.
The top 8 was pitted against eachother and had to eliminate the opponent in order to advance.
Basic rules are simple, dont run a red light, be the first to go over the finnish and you win. But, i cant run below 15 seconds because that would result in a breakout. So i had to be faster than the other guy, but not too fast either (and flat out my car was running 14.6 on rotenburg)

Sunday morning began a lil wet, but we put the car in lineup and waited till the track would dry.

can we race now? plz? i want to play...

Afbeelding

track started to dry and the others came out to play aswell
Afbeelding

Our class on Rotenburg on sunday:

Afbeelding

some wicked cars were there

Afbeelding

and one wicked wankel golf running nitro :D

Afbeelding

First round was fairly eas for me as my opponent had a bad start so outran him with ease. But here comes the issue, My wife also advanced to the semi finals and was to be my next opponent! wait.. whut? how? 1 car, 2 drivers.. euhm..
We had the coice of either one of us would just give up and let the other "win" or.. race eachother! We chose to race eachother and decided we wouldent pull any punches. even if i had more championship points we would both race out best and see what would happen. I was up first. My wife was taken behind the race trailer so whe couldent see or hear my results. I

ran my time and on my way back i had no idea what my time was. Score boards were empty.
Me and my wife swapped places so she could make her run and i wouldent be able to see the results. And she rand a perfect run and beat my time. So i had the runner up finals and she went on to the final race. I ended up 3rd and she ended up second on the event.

But even with my 3rd place i managed to stay ahead of the main competition in the other classes. Even the white Pro-ET mustang that had run 4 events with just 3 or 4 cars in its class (so gaining a lot of points whatever he did)
With just 2 events to go things were starting to look like i might actually pull this off. But so much could go wrong as the competition was rly rly close.

On the Last race weekend at Drachten airport the game was on! Do or die!

I dont have any pictures of the event but the sunday was wet yet again (what was up with the weather this year...)
and on saturday i had qualified 4th with 15.028 and my wife qualified 5th with 15.033 (top 5 DSL class within 0.03 seconds of eachother... close much?)

When we got home we looked up the points of all my competitors for the overall championship and i was still in the lead! (barely)

The 2 cars that were a big threat going into the very last event for the european championship were:
Michael Kietz in the SM (street modified) class

Afbeelding

and Michael Bush in the CSL class:

Afbeelding

Last event: Husum Germany! 5 hour drive... Danish border..

Camp Holland:
Afbeelding

waiting for track to clear after an oildown

Afbeelding

I qualified very very well on the very first run and put down a 15.07! so i would be in the finals on sunday no matter what.
Bush in the CSL also qualified very well and the both of us were very happy that we would both have a shot at the championship.
Michael Kiets ran very badly in the mustang with engine fueling issues. Farting and banging all over the place ending up with a time not good enough to qualify in his SM class.

So the race was between me and bush! We were so close in points that i had to be first or second in the finals in order to stay ahead of him. If he was to win his class and i would end up 3rd in my class he would take the championship.

Sunday proved to be a beautifull day, perfect for finals!
My first run was against the nr 7 on the list. He had qualified with a 15.7 time so all i had to do is stay ahead of him.
My start was good, had no trouble staying out in front of him as expected, made sure i didnt go under the 15 seconds and took the win in round 1.

Bush the lucky git had a Bye run (no opponent showed up) so all he had to do was make the run and he would be through to the nxt round aswell.

Next up for me was Mandy in her opel corsa opc nurburgring edition. The car could run a consistent 15.1 time so she didnt leave me much room to beat her. This would get tense. If i would win i would be in the final round thus ensuring me the overall championship. So she was my very very last obstacle.
She was quite nervous to be running against me and i took full advantage of that. The race starts before lining up the cars. So she completed her burnout and proceeded to put her car in pre stage and rolled right onto stage. So i took my time with my burnout, rolled onto prestage. looking over to her.. waiting a few seconds (she would be getting sweaty palms by now) and got into stage, yellow yellow yellow green! go go go! My start was very very good! and i was quite far ahead of mandy, shifting to 3rd i realised... im going too fast! ill run a breakout! so i lifted the throttle a bit. as just staying ahead of her would be enough to win the round. But i lifted a bit too much and many pulled up to me! i floored it trying to stay ahead of her and crossed the finnish line just ahead of her... pffff.. won with 0.07 seconds >.<

and with that i was EUROPEAN CHAMPION 2015!!!!! *bouncing all over the place*

But the race wasnt over yet, i still had the final to run, winning it would be the cherry on the cake
My last opponent turned out to be a guy who ran a 15.3 as fastest so same game as before, just stay a car length ahead and take the win. Did as planned and won the Husum event :D

Bush also ended up winning the CSL class so it turned out to be a very very close championship.

And for the prize:

Afbeelding

Going to vegas!!! :D

But the story doesnt end there. There was 1 more event to go. The dutch championship finals! Very last race of the year on drachten airport.

In the dutch championship i was 1st in the DSL class followed closely by Lennard. So close that i had to be 1st to win the dutch championship. If lennard would be first he would (just) pass me in points and he woudl take the dutch championship.
Do remember that the whole goal at the start of the season was winning the dutch DSL championship :D lol, that escalated quickly

The finals was a 1 day event. so no eleminations, just qualifying runs. and best time would determine the rankings.
My very first run of the day turned out to be a whopping 15.028 seconds. I was over the moon as this was a very hard time to beat. But it could happen. there were a couple of cars that could do very clean 15 times. Including Lennard.
I kept watchingthe times of Lennard and a few others but i kept the lead. Till the very last run of the evening. I was pretty sure i had this in the bag as the other cars only had 1 shot left at the time. Lennard ran a stunning 15.029!! 0.001 second behind me! yikes! close much?

And with that i ended up winning the very last race of the year and won the dutch championship!

So here is the lil old toyota that could.

European overall champion
European DSL champion
Dutch DSL champion

I'm over the moon with the results :D The car never broke down once during the season. Im quite pleased with my engine building skills :)
Laatst gewijzigd door Rage op 16 okt 2015, 22:51, 7 keer totaal gewijzigd.

frank de jonge
Contacteer:

Bericht door frank de jonge » 16 okt 2015, 21:49

Supermooi dit :-)

EvdP
Auto: Volg de Skoda rijder

Bericht door EvdP » 16 okt 2015, 21:53

Ligt het aan mij of werken sommige plaatjes niet?

En een schitterend resultaat natuurlijk!

Rage

Bericht door Rage » 16 okt 2015, 22:07

klopt. google fotos is aan het eikelen, sommige doen het niet. no idea why

PimV
Auto: E46 M3

Bericht door PimV » 09 nov 2015, 14:31

Zo dan, jij bent al heeel lang met deze auto bezig of niet? :shocking:

Ik meen je forumnaam en auto in ieder geval te herinneren van het Starletforum waar ik lid van was een jaar of 10 geleden met mijn eerste autootje. Gaaf hoor, nog veel plezier ermee!

Rage

Bericht door Rage » 05 sep 2016, 14:38

*pffffffff * *kuch...* -proest-

ff stof eraf blazen hier :D

is al een tijdje geleden dat ik op het forum ben geweest.
@pim, yeps, het autotje sinds 2005 in bezit dus ze doet al ff mee.

In tegenstelling tot wat ik dacht na afloop van het race seizoen van vorig jaar en ik dacht dat de auto wel aardig op was doet het ouwe ding het nogsteeds. En gezien mijn nieuwe project even op de lange baan staat trappen we de oude doos weer aan en hebben we er nog wat plezier mee. Dit jaar niet erg actief op de dragstrip maar wel wat andere dingen aan het doen:

laten we weer eens mee doen aan een time attack/handling dagje op midland circuit.
Rising suns finest 2016 :)

meeste rijders waren evo's skylines en impreza's. ook nog een show supra gespot op de baan. die had ik er niet verwacht!

baantje is vrij kort en krap. heerlijk voor een kleine auto zoals het starletje. Competitie was leuk/vriendelijk. veel gelachen en veel gereden. al met al een erg leuke dag gehad. en uiteindelijk de snelste tijd van de dag neergezet en dat was een volle seconde onder de tijden van de rest.

heb een kort filmpje in elkaar gezet: 1e stuk is eerste keer op de baan, laatste deel is bumpercam van snelste ronde

https://youtu.be/70liO6sXqlQ

Afbeelding

frank de jonge
Contacteer:

Bericht door frank de jonge » 07 nov 2016, 12:18

:)

Macboy
Contacteer:

Bericht door Macboy » 08 nov 2016, 09:20

Leuke fotos zeg draadje gemist destijds !

///Joost

Bericht door ///Joost » 08 nov 2016, 10:16

Mooi draadje, ik heb deze ook helemaal gemist destijds.

Thomas H

Bericht door Thomas H » 08 nov 2016, 10:46

Man wat een verhaal met die sprint tijden, ongelofelijk hoe dicht jullie bij elkaar zitten. Moet echt zenuwslopend zijn! Activeer je bij de start zelf nog een stopwatch oid om de tijd te monitoren? Of luistert dat te nauw om een accurate meting te kunnen doen?

Rage

Bericht door Rage » 10 nov 2016, 07:48

het gaat om duizendsten, een stopwatch zou nutteloos zijn. het gaat puur op gevoel. soms zit je goed. soms net niet.
Het klinkt heel simpel, stukje rechtuit en een tijd zetten. zo dacht ik er eerst zelf ook over. tot je je gaat verdiepen in het spelletje. dan komt er heel wat bij kijken en kan de strijd erg leuk zijn :)

frank de jonge
Contacteer:

Bericht door frank de jonge » 10 nov 2016, 08:22

Hoe staat het nu met de 1.5?

Rage

Bericht door Rage » 11 nov 2016, 07:41

alle onderdelen zijn binnen (wiseco zuigers, scat rods, 0.3mm stalen koppakking, arp kopbouten, oliepomp. waterpomp, complete pakking set, turbo setup: garret gt2560r met spruitstuk/downpipe 480cc injectoren 5efhe high lift nokkenassen, stand alone ecu) dus kan het blok gaan bouwen. maar ben tussendoor mijn nieuwe daily nog aan het bouwen. die buite nstond op roze wielen. die staat nu gestript op de brug, bijna klaar voor respray. tussendoor zal ik bezig gaan met de 1.5 bouwen

frank de jonge
Contacteer:

Bericht door frank de jonge » 11 nov 2016, 07:46

Jij bent echt serieus goed bezig :)

Plaats reactie