Registering modded subaru in NL

A forum for our international friends - please no posts in Dutch in here.
Plaats reactie
Anton_Subaru
Auto: Subaru

Registering modded subaru in NL

Bericht door Anton_Subaru » 08 mei 2022, 17:35

Hey there,

I read some similar posts, but was not able to answer all my questions unfortunately.
I've recently relocated to Amsterdam and want to bring my car, but am not sure if I can register it here.
My car is a 2006 Subaru WRX, but it's heavily modded. The standard WRX is 230HP and mine is ~350 on the dyno.
I've got a straight pipe from the engine to the exhaust. I've got a blow-off valve (which I plan to remove as I think that will get me in trouble due to it's noise).

Can anyone please share if you've had any experience with registering a similar car? :)

Thank you in advance!!

smiley
Auto: Opel Speedster Supercharged

Re: Registering modded subaru in NL

Bericht door smiley » 08 mei 2022, 18:42

Welcome,

Basically modded cars are fine over here, as long as you make regular MOT requirements.
A straight pipe will not make the emissions test period.
As this will be a yearly burden, you need to choose to have a removable section in to put a normal cat in just for MOT if you feel like the noise is crucial, or get a permanent 200 cells good quality steel sports cat in like a HJS.
A sports cat will rob you from the noise, but usually only a minimum on horsepower; especially with a 350 system it should be barely noticable.

As for noise, currently MOT station can optionally do a DB meter noise test.
If they don't have that device, they are not obliged to do that test. That is the grey area you are looking for.
Call them beforehand and ask if they do the noise test. If they do, look for another MOT station.
The right MOT station will not care about your blow off, nor exhaust noise. Just emissions.

Edit; just realized your car will be on UK plates, and will have to fair through RDW for inspection.
I have no experience with that on modded cars. Let's see what others say.

Anton_Subaru
Auto: Subaru

Bericht door Anton_Subaru » 08 mei 2022, 23:27

Hey Smiley,

Thanks for your reply!
My car is from EU country (Bulgaria plates), so I suppose the RDW for inspection does not apply?
I think a sports cat might be the best option, as I don't want to have to swap parts in and out for MOTs and let's save the planet, right? :)

smiley

Bericht door smiley » 08 mei 2022, 23:39

Afaik if your car has Bulgarian MOT, the date that ends is re-used by the RDW.
After that expires, you are off to a regular Dutch MOT.
Afaik every car imported has to go through the RDW to get a Dutch plate.
As i never did that myself, i am not 100% sure how strict they are. Others here did that plenty, so just give it some time for input.

Eric Z
Auto: BMW E46 330i, E46 323Ci

Bericht door Eric Z » 08 mei 2022, 23:44

I think this page might help you in getting your head around the proces of importing the car.
https://www.rdw.nl/over-rdw/information ... ta-country

“BPM” is a tax we have on every vehicle, under certain conditions you do not have to pay it if you are relocating to The Netherlands you can read about that on https://www.belastingdienst.nl/wps/wcm/ ... for_moving

smiley

Bericht door smiley » 09 mei 2022, 00:19

After a round of google i think i have to correct myself on the Decibel thingy.
That seems to have been planned, but not active right now. Only emissions tests.

Martijn M

Bericht door Martijn M » 10 mei 2022, 08:29

If it's a 2006, an emission test won't be done if there is no emission related error on the ECU I believe.
My guess is that maybe an APK map (if you can switch maps on the ECU) could help you.

Plaats reactie