Hello everyone

A forum for our international friends - please no posts in Dutch in here.
Plaats reactie
Attila

Hello everyone

Bericht door Attila » 31 aug 2018, 11:20

Hello everyone, I'm new on the forum. I moved to Rotterdam since 2 years but my Dutch is still poor, so I'll use this section for the introduction.

I'm interested in doing some performance modifications to my car: intake, manifold, ecu remap. What mods are legal in the Netherlands? Is there any summary somewhere I can google-translate? I'm also interested in a set of coilovers and tweaking the angles (camber, convergence) a bit...

Cheers!

tomgtr

Re: Hello everyone

Bericht door tomgtr » 31 aug 2018, 11:37

Heya. Fine to post here but reckon 95 pct here pretty fluently speaking English so upto you. The rules here are a bit more flexible than places like Belgium as it comes to modding. An inspection is only required if the BHP of the car goes up more than 30 pct I believe. Tell us something about your wheels?

JP
Locatie: Haringen op zuurdesem, gedoopt in een bedje van azijn, met een glaasje citroensap on the side….

Bericht door JP » 31 aug 2018, 11:43

Welcome, hope you have a BMW. That's the most common car here on DF......

Afbeelding

:tooth:

Riceaux

Bericht door Riceaux » 31 aug 2018, 11:45

Welcome! During the MOT/APK most mods will pass. But that doesn't make 'm legal. :tooth:

Alfata
Auto: Alfa Romeo 4C & Stelvio QV

Bericht door Alfata » 31 aug 2018, 12:05

Well, the catalytic converter these days can't be removed anymore. They psychically watch if it's there. Besides they also test the hight of the fog lights. If you lower your car, you also have to adjust the fog light level.

Other than that: just do what you like.

Niels
Auto: Prius+

Bericht door Niels » 31 aug 2018, 13:29

APK (MOT) whise your right but like Riceaux says, legal is another story. Be aware of that. So slight mods will not be a problem.

Curious about the car and plans!

Attila

Bericht door Attila » 31 aug 2018, 14:39

Thanks to all!
Tell us something about your wheels?
Welcome, hope you have a BMW. That's the most common car here on DF......
Toyota GT86, nearly out of warranty cover. It's stock for now, I just bought a short shifter.
Long story short, I want to add 20-30 hp through intake, exhaust equal length manifold and a remap. Plus some perks like selectable maps and oil temperature gauge.
I also want to install an oil cooler.
Later, around next spring, I'll buy a set of uhp tyres, ohlins coilovers and a duomi bar.
Welcome! During the MOT/APK most mods will pass. But that doesn't make 'm legal. :tooth:
Could you elaborate on this? Among the above what is legal and what is not? To pass the APK I guess that fumes and noise should be within limit, right? With the coilovers I won't lower it more than 2 cm, too many speed bumps here in Rotterdam. :wtf:

tomgtr

Bericht door tomgtr » 31 aug 2018, 14:49

None of above should be any issue. There is couple of guys who own(ed) one of these. Fries recently bought one and should know a lot more. Mrbs is driving (if not sold yet) his 2nd. But little things like you mention not an issue here at all. Would think at MOTCO measurements are key. And in case stopped by police how much dB comes from exhaust.

Riceaux

Bericht door Riceaux » 31 aug 2018, 14:57

Among the above you'll get away with everything. At least if the equal lenght manifolds doesn't raise the volume level of the exhaust to much. They don't measure noise at the APK, but the police can do so if they feel like and give you a fine if it's slightly higher, or confiscate your car documents if it's way too loud. Then you'll have to get everything back to stock and go to the RDW to proof that everything is stock again to receive the car documents back. But that only happens when you're at a McDonalds meeting on saturdaynight in common. :mrgreen:

Edit: What Tom mentions above! ^

tomgtr

Bericht door tomgtr » 31 aug 2018, 15:02

:kikker:

Attila

Bericht door Attila » 31 aug 2018, 15:03

That's really good news. Is there any way I can register the mods I made? The reason is that if I move in another EU country in the future, any mod that has been approved here will be automatically registered and approved. But it has to be written down in an official document.

The EL manyfold shouldn't be raising the noise, there are 2 cathalizers, a resonator and a muffler in the exhaust line. Removing one of the two cathalizers and/or changing them with 200 cells metallic cats would be a problem?
Is the noise limit 87 dB, as in EU rules?

tomgtr

Bericht door tomgtr » 31 aug 2018, 15:10

No, not a chance. Guess helps a bit if the parts have TUV approval in case of Germany. Belgium is for example really difficult on any mod. But registering means having the care re-inspected which is not what you want I presume. And still that wont do anything for other countries. For instance Belgium, yes you could register the car in Belgium due to car being already registered in the EU yet it will fail their MOT. So it aint that straight forward. The Nether lands is the country of "gedogen" IE turning a blind eye rather easily on not overly relevant cases. But not all countries in the EU that mellow.

friesc
Auto: GT86 | Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV

Bericht door friesc » 31 aug 2018, 16:00

Hi there welcome fellow GT86 enthusiast! There are not enough of us in NL.
Good plan for the mods!
I would not get rid of any cats (200cells is fine though) inspection measures the exhaust gasses if i'm correct.
As long as your car has a proper exhaust system on it, it should not be too loud (however I had to shortshift at zandvoort on the evening sessions due to noise restrictions).

Attila

Bericht door Attila » 31 aug 2018, 16:48

Thanks for the answers!
friesc schreef: 31 aug 2018, 16:00 Hi there welcome fellow GT86 enthusiast! There are not enough of us in NL.
I guess BPM makes it unappealing here...
Good plan for the mods!
I would not get rid of any cats (200cells is fine though) inspection measures the exhaust gasses if I'm correct.
As long as your car has a proper exhaust system on it, it should not be too loud (however I had to shortshift at zandvoort on the evening sessions due to noise restrictions).
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36133&p=1274060#p1274060
I see here you have a HKS Spec-L, one of my favourites. Any issue with APK/police officers?

friesc
Auto: GT86 | Alfa Romeo Giulietta QV

Bericht door friesc » 31 aug 2018, 17:20

haha, yeah I think so!
Mine is also stock except for wheels, tires and the exhaust.
The HKS is really nice, it's loud but not getting into trouble loud. It's 92dB at redline I think.
I almost bought the Milltek Primary resonated catback. It's quieter but when swapping headers it gives a nice deep tone.
I plan on doing a catted & resonated front pipe and catted unequal length headers in the future.

Attila

Bericht door Attila » 31 aug 2018, 18:48

That's a nice combinantion, I think HKS sells those components.

Plaats reactie